Principles and Practice of Palliative and End of Life Care module
The course is validated with Staffordshire University for 15 CAT points at Level 6 (degree level).
2021 Course Dates: TBC
Course venue: St Giles Hospice, Education Department, Fisherwick Road, Whittington, Lichfield, Staffs, WS14 9LH
Course fee: £510.00
Palliative care aims to treat or manage pain and other physical symptoms. It also helps with any psychological, social or spiritual needs. End of life care is an important part of palliative care for people who are nearing the end of life.
End of life care encompasses the care received by people who are likely to die in the next 12 months, as well as care in the last days and hours of life. It includes care after death and bereavement support for families and loved ones. People approaching end of life need to have care that is consistent with their preferences where possible and have access to high quality care that is compassionate, competent and respectful.
Ensuring quality of care and putting people’s needs at the heart of the healthcare system requires a workforce that is equipped with the right knowledge, skills, competences, attitudes and behaviours. The module will aim to provide education and workforce development for staff working at Band 5 and above in all health and social care settings.
- Policies, frameworks and current initiatives for end of life care
- Coordinated care – integration, pathways and place of care
- Diagnosis of a life limiting disease other than cancer and those with specific needs
- Inequalities and variations in end of life care
- Person-centred, holistic care – assessment care planning and review. Cultural issues, spirituality, loss and bereavement
- Leadership, teamwork and shared decision making including ethical considerations
- Communication and information – the importance of speaking openly about end of life care. Understanding the individual’s needs and supporting advance care planning.
- Pain assessments and symptom management. Anticipatory prescribing in the last days of life
- Recognising final hours or days of life.