Date: Wednesday 11th March
Duration: 5 days
Location: Southern Iceland
Entry fee: £299
Minimum sponsorship: £3,100
Join #TeamStGiles for our Northern Lights Trek
Explore a land of incredible contrast and natural beauty as you take on a trek to support your local hospice. Experience wild volcanic landscapes, mountains, glaciers, hot springs, geysers and waterfalls of southern Iceland on this 5 day Northern Lights trek.
There will be snow underfoot so it’s challenging walking, but no technical expertise required as you take in the sights of this beautiful region in winter.
Staying in huts miles from the nearest big towns, the dark skies offer a great chance of seeing the spectacular Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) something to watch each evening – an unforgettable experience to share with friends, family or colleagues!
- Day 1: Depart London to Keflavik
- Day 2: Lake Þingvallavatn
- Day 3: Around Hveragerði
- Day 4: Geothermal Valley
- Day 5: Fly to Reykjavik to London
A good entry-level grade, perfect for your first challenge. Keep in mind that this is a challenge and everyone will find elements of the trip difficult at some point, whether it is the physical trekking, the cold temperatures or missing home comforts. While there are many challenges, the enjoyment and rewards that come from trekking the wild volcanic landscapes in Iceland are unforgettable!
Sign up on your own or with friends, family or colleagues to be a part of #TeamStGiles. After registration we will support you every step of the trek, with information on effective training, fundraising and sponsorship tips, kit lists, local information and answer any questions you might have.
- Flights from London to Reykjavik (Keflavik) return and all transport
- All meals (except where specified), and hut accommodation
- Leaders; doctor (group size dependent); local mountain guides and drivers
- Vehicle support and back-up equipment
- Entry to any sites visited as part of the itinerary
- Airline taxes
- Any meals specified ‘not included’ in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Personal spending money, souvenirs and drinks
- Tips for the local guides and support crew
- Inbound airport departure tax (no tax applied at the time of writing)
- Fees for any optional sites, attractions or activities (for example spa visit – allow approx. £70 if booked in advance)
We’d love you to join #TeamStGiles!
Register you interest and join our team of incredible trekkers!
We’re here for you… because you’re here for us
“My gran was my best friend and we all knew that she was nearing the end of her life.
Sarah took up running last year to support the work of St Giles after caring for her Gran and has since taken part in the Great North Run and the Rudolph Run to raise funds.
“Even though she was receiving the very best care it was a very daunting experience. But everybody was so nice to the family – they tried to make it seem as normal as possible to put us at our ease.
“On the day she passed away my family and I walked away from St Giles and, of course, we were very sad – but everybody at St Giles had worked so hard to make everything so lovely for my gran, we were so thankful.
“Ever since I have had such a passion for St Giles because the care they gave us all was so phenomenal.”
Join Sarah by fundraising for St Giles and help us to support local people and their families living with a potentially terminal illness.