How to raise a concern or make a complaint

Raising a concern or making a complaint

We work very hard to provide the highest standards of care to patients and families. However we are aware that we may not always get it right. We believe any concerns or complaints are an opportunity for us to learn and improve. If you make a complaint it will not be recorded in your medical notes or that of your relative and will not affect future care in any way.

Letting us know

You can talk to any member of staff. They will do their best to resolve the issue or will speak to a senior manager if more action is needed. If you prefer you can also telephone and speak directly with Director of Clinical Services, Kristy Clayton (for clinical complaints) or Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Elinor Eustace (for non-clinical complaints), or ask to meet with them. You could also write directly to the Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Harkness. 

St Giles Hospice
Fisherwick Road
Staffs WS14 9LH
Tel: 01543 432031

Care Quality Commission
National Correspondence
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Telephone: 03000 616161

Then what happens?

When we receive a written complaint we will write back within two working days to confirm we have received your letter. A senior manager is then asked to look into your concerns. We may ask to meet with you, or speak on the telephone, to help us more fully understand your concerns.

We will do our best to give you a full reply as quickly as possible; we aim to give a complete reply within 20 working days from receiving your complaint. If the issues are complicated it may take us longer to investigate fully, however we will still write to you to update you.

What if I’m still not satisfied?

If you feel you would like to take your complaint further, you can ask for the hospice’s Board of Trustees to review your complaint. You can also inform our regulators, the Care Quality Commission to make them aware of your complaint at the address overleaf.

You may wish to also contact the Healthwatch Staffordshire NHS Complaints Advocacy service on 0800 161 5600 or visit Healthwatch’s help to make a complaint.